Blogstalking and Comments Welcome!

Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, I love them!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Surgery it is...

Yesterday I went in for my sonohysterogram. My mom was kind enough to come with me, although I think she was more nervous than I was. I guess she never would have asked her mom, or anyone for that matter to come with her to something like that. I guess I am more a chicken than she is.

Anyway, the sonohysterogram wasn’t nearly as bad as the HSG, but was still pretty crampy and painful. My Dr. was very aware of the pain associated with it though and kept the communication open so he could stop anytime it was too much. Following the test he concluded I do indeed have a 1 cm septum that could be causing early miscarriages. A normal uterus measures about 4 cm so my septum is currently occupying ¼ of it and because it is an abnormality, it doesn’t have the correct cardiovascular system needed to support a pregnancy if an embryo implants in it.

With this conclusion, my Dr. decided it would be in my best interest to remove it before proceeding with more IUI’s and In-Vitro. The surgery itself seems pretty simple but I will need to go under general anesthesia and take a few days off of work to rest and heal. The Dr. has also told me to quit taking my clomid and has put me on a birth control pill in order to thicken the uterine lining. After the surgery, Mike and I will need to put our “trying” on hold for 1-2 months in order for me to heal completely. During this time, I will be on a steroid to help the uterine wall heal and make it strong enough to carry a baby to term.

This decision is bitter-sweet because it does prolong our fertility journey at least 3 more months, but I know it’s the right decision for us. I am happy there is finally something “wrong” and something we can do now and truly hope this is our answer. I am waiting for the schedulers to call me but I am guessing the surgery will be next Thursday or Friday or the following week. After I get the Dr.’s OK after following surgery, Mike and I will continue with IUI and move onto In-Vitro in probably October or November. While 6 months seems so far away, I am looking forward to taking a bit of a break to be selfish, focus on Mike and I, plan another trip to San Fran and enjoy the spring/summer weather (if it ever gets here!).

Thanks for all of your sweet offers of foods, visits and help during this time. It’s amazing how talking about this and having all or your support helps to lighten my burden and makes this disheartening and painful journey somewhat bearable. Someday I know I will look back on this and take all of this as a blessing and be reminded of the amazing people who were there for me during this difficult time.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm glad for you that you're getting this surgery Lauren. Sounds like it will be a step in the right direction. I'm fascinated by this because I was told I also have a slight septum in my uterus. But we got pregnant with Ocean after one month of trying, how weird is that? And I had no complications with my pregnancy and I've never had a miscarriage. Hopefully this surgery will do it for you!

Malerie said...

I just got caught up on your posts. I'm sorry there are more set backs, but I'm glad you're getting some answers. Good luck with the surgery! Hang in there!

Danielle said...

I am really pulling for you that this is your answer. I know this whole journey has taken a toll on you emotionally. Maybe the time away from tyring will allow you to clear your mind and start fresh. I am going to be so over joyed for you when your little one starts cooking!! Please let me know if you need anything post surgery. I'd be happy to bring you whatever you and Mike need. LOVE YOU!!

Linds Forrest said...

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it helps and you two can move forward with achieving your dreams and desires! You two will make some cute kids! I will keep you in my prayers.