Blogstalking and Comments Welcome!

Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, I love them!

Monday, May 16, 2011

Another Hurdle...

Do you remember this post… Some Answers. Well as a reminder, these are my HSG results in which they found I have a uterine abnormality and is relevant to the following post.

Friday I went in for my day three ultrasound and blood work in order to check my eggs and ovaries. The Dr. said everything looked great but wanted to talk to me more about my uterine abnormality. After reviewing my HSG report, he found that I most likely have a uterine septum rather than an arcuate uterus. A septum is a congenital malformation where the uterine cavity is divided by tissue, which makes for an unfavorable environment for an embryo to implant. While a septum doesn’t necessarily cause infertility, it carries a high risk of miscarriages, preterm labor and pregnancy complications because a baby is not able to move around as it would in a normal shaped uterus. If a baby is able to make it full term, a c-section is usually necessary because they are usually breeched.

Knowing this new information, my Dr. up at the U has suggested I undergo a sonohysterogram, which is very similar to a HSG, only instead of dye, they use saline. During this procedure my Dr. will measure how long the septum is and evaluate whether or not I should undergo surgery to correct it, although he is pretty positive I will need to. While a septum isn’t causing my infertility, we are pretty sure I have had a few early miscarriages due to some high progesterone readings and the Dr. doesn’t want me to undergo more IUI’s and IVF to only end up miscarrying.


I have my procedure tomorrow and if the results come back pro surgery, I hope to have that scheduled in the next few weeks. I was in such shock on Friday at the words “you may need surgery” that I forgot to ask all the important questions such as how long is the surgery, what is the recovery time following the surgery, what does the surgery entail and when can we begin trying again? I will post the results and answers to these questions as soon as they come back. While I am scared to undergo surgery, I am hopeful that this could be our answer and to me, it’s worth trying.


Just another hurdle in getting Baby Ricci here...

No comments: